[OT] Cleanest look is a UI design failure (was Re: New DConf Blog Post)

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Apr 10 15:24:36 UTC 2019

On 4/9/19 1:27 PM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 04/09/2019 08:45 AM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
>
>  > I do think a lot of
>  > designers these days go overboard with removing as much as they can
>
> I've been setting the keyboard layout of my OS interfaces to Dvorak for
> 20 years. Many Windows and Linux environments included...
>
> I simply could not figure out how to do the same thing on a Windows 10
> work laptop. I had to find the answer on the good old internet. It turns
> out, I had to click something on the screen which gave no indication of
> clickability. What a design failure...

Yup. But I'm a little surprised it still lets you do that at all - the
big trendy thing in tech these days is removing features. The minimalism
obsession really has gotten out of hand. But then the tech world never
really has been any good with moderation and comprehending the fallacy
of "If a little of X is good, then more must always be better!" It's
just one silver bullet obsession after another.