New DConf Blog Post

wjoe fake at example.com
Fri Apr 12 12:52:25 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 11 April 2019 at 16:56:27 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 4/11/19 10:11 AM, wjoe wrote:
>>
>> No offense, but http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>

> That is the best website EVER. Times a billion. Says exactly
> the things I've been wanting to scream at jet-engine volume
> straight into the faces of every web designer and full-stacker
> in the world.
>
> "Responsive web" always made me cringe.
> HTML-freaking-version-ONE was responsive. And semantic. It was
> specifically *designed* to be. But then the designers and the
> know-nothing software managers came, hated that stuff, and
> killed it all with fire. Then when the sausage-finger small
> screens came (not to mention browser diversity and "emerging
> markets"), they shit a brick and started over-re-engineering
> everything that was already there all along (plus some extra
> garbage nobody needs). Idiots.

Yeah, that, and it respects a browser's font and size
configuration :)
Visiting a web-site I often think to myself: Fail! You can still
manage to read that 7pt font by attaching your eyeballs to the
screen! If you don't want people to be able to read it, you
should remove that text altogether! Saves you all the effort, too.

These so called web designers who work soooo hard to find all
possible ways to stop you from comfortably reading the thing with
tons of useless java script "coolness" and distracting banners
and drop downs and otherwise hidden information you need to find
the spot to tickle to make it appear (is that a secret cry for
help?) and pictures that stalk you but can't make text flow
around a picture without using DIV - and then need to nail
everything else in place with more DIVs. Amusing :)

They can't even make normal hyperlinks work and spend tons of
effort trying to imitate it with java script. Delicious :)

And their white on black design which makes you see nothing but
zebras for the rest of the day or so after spending 2 minutes on
it...love it! :)