grain - D Language for Deep Learning

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 17:31:03 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 24 April 2019 at 16:33:00 UTC, Shigeki Karita wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I see. I'm interested in Stan that is the best library for
> probabilistic models but it lacks of GPU computation.
> Therefore, I plan to add some probabilistic programming
> paradigm into grain like pytorch (pyro) and tensorflow (tf
> probability).

Conveniently enough, they just incorporated some GPU support in
the release in March [1]. Here's an earlier status update [2].
The initial work was focused on cholesky decompositions because
that was a big source of slowdown for some types of models.
Probably still has a ways to go before reaching tensorflows
maturity on the GPU.

[1] https://github.com/stan-dev/math/releases/tag/v2.19.0
[2]
https://discourse.mc-stan.org/t/gpu-update-whats-up-and-where-we-are-going/6015