grain - D Language for Deep Learning

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 12:17:44 UTC 2019

On Friday, 26 April 2019 at 06:35:42 UTC, Shigeki Karita wrote:

> I haven't know that GPU support in Stan. That's Cool! Cholesky
> decomposition always suffers me when I use covariance matrix or
> something. If you are interested in GPU acceleration in
> probabilistic programming, see also this paper (Table 2) of
> Edward (previous name of Tensorflow Probability)
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1701.03757.pdf

I think I recall hearing something about Edward. In my
experience, Bayesian modelling can be quite finicky...you might
do something to get faster results, but then the results may not
make sense, particularly as the model becomes more complicated.
While I often prefer the Bayesian approach, faster doesn't
necessarily mean better.