code.dlang.org downtime

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 11:58:34 UTC 2019

On Monday, 16 December 2019 at 11:04:38 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> As you may have already noticed, the main registry server,
> code.dlang.org got unreachable yesterday. This was caused by an
> old VPS of mine getting terminated. The registry had already
> moved to a different server years ago, but, without me
> realizing it, the DNS entry still pointed to the old one, with
> a "temporary" HTTP proxy forwarding to the new server being set
> up.
>
> By now the DNS entry has been corrected, an up-to-date TLS
> certificate is in place, and the registry is running stable.
> There are still reports of people not being able to access
> code.dlang.org, which is apparently caused by intermediate DNS
> servers still reporting the old IP address and should start
> working during the next few hours. A temporary workaround is to
> specify --registry=http://31.15.67.41/ on the dub command line.
>
> Unfortunately both fallback servers have been down for a while
> now, so that this resulted in a total blackout. I plan to move
> the main registry to a powerful dedicated server in January,
> which will fix all memory resource related issues that
> sometimes show up, and could then keep the current VPS as a
> relatively reliable fallback server. Both together should
> guarantee virtually 100% uptime, although more fallback servers
> are of course highly desirable.
>
> In addition to that, I plan to separate the repository polling
> process form the web and REST frontend, as the former appears
> to be the main cause for failures (a GC memory leak of some
> kind and a possibly codegen related crash when being compiled
> with DMD being the two known issues, which both need further
> investigation).

Hi Sonke,

Thanks a lot for taking care of the issues so quickly and taking
actions.
I was a bit sad yesterday not being able to upgrade, but now the
new registry server is a lot faster here! It makes browsing the
registry a pleasure.

---------------

For all future readers, here is something you can do in case of
DUB failure.

What to do if the DUB registry is down:
- Checkout all dependencies manually.

    $ git clone https://hosting.com/mydep.git mydep
    $ cd mydep
    $ git checkout <desired-tag>

- Add those dependencies as local packages:

    $ dub add-local .
    $ cd ..

- Build your project normally. The local packages should override
the online packages.

    $ dub build