code.dlang.org downtime

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Dec 17 17:34:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 01:34:16AM +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
[...]
> Oh, I don't doubt that. My point was that it makes the D language
> project look like a small-scale open source project relying on
> volunteers (in this case Sonke) being generous with time and
> resources. What manager is going to trust a project like that with a
> major project? It seems unlikely that this would not be considered a
> major issue.

This looks like something the D Foundation ought to fund.  Buy one of
the many VPS's out there to be used as the "official", Foundation-backed
dub server, preferably with a hosting provider that has multiple
redundant network connections and automatic backup service.  Depending
on availability of funds, add a hot failover server as backup in case
things go wrong with the primary server.  This ought to alleviate any
concerns about downtime.

The current volunteer-provided servers can still act as mirrors for
extra availability.

If a volunteer-driven opensource project like Debian can have worldwide
multiple redundant FTP mirrors that almost guarantees 100% uptime, why
can't we?

INTEL = Only half of "intelligence".