intel-intrinsics v1.0.0

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:26:53 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 at 23:26:48 UTC, Crayo List wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 at 19:55:05 UTC, Guillaume
> Piolat wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 at 04:57:29 UTC, Crayo List
>> wrote:
>>> However (for those who are unaware) there is an alternative
>>> way that is (arguably) better;
>>> https://ispc.github.io/index.html
>>>
>>> You can write portable vectorized code that can be trivially
>>> invoked from D.
>>
>> ispc is another compiler in your build, and you'd write in
>> another language, so it's not really the same thing.
>
> That's mostly what I said, except that I did not say it's the
> same thing.
> It's an alternative way to produce vectorized code in a
> deterministic and portable way.

While you didn't say it was the same thing, you did say it's an
alternative that 'is arguably better'. Adding another compiler
using another language is arguably worse, so there are tradeoffs
here, which Guillaume may have felt were undercommunicated (I
know I did).

That said, it *is* a good alternative in some cases, and may well
be worth pointing out in a thread like this.

--
   Simen