DIP 1018--The Copy Constructor--Formal Review

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 01:08:49 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 at 21:22:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/24/2019 1:02 PM, Manu wrote:
>> I mean like, my DIP was almost violently rejected,
>
> I thought it was clear what was needed to be done with it, and
> I thought you were going to rewrite it. Was I mistaken?

Absolutely no, no. Yes!

"What needs to be done" is scattered throughout forum discussions
filled with incorrect assumptions, most of which were resolved
needing little change, absolutely nothing that justifies a
rewrite over minor amendments (the text will be 95% the same, the
sentiment will be 100% the same), neither I nor Manu plan to
rewrite it. Note that none of that is reflected in the official
review, most (if not all) of which is wrong (and you should
update it!).

What is _actually_ going to happen is this will be an item on the
agenda for the Foundation meeting at dconf: you will clarify the
problems you have with the DIP; those problems will be discussed,
evaluated and acted upon; and the DIP process will be amended to
avoid the root cause of those problems.