DIP 1018--The Copy Constructor--Formal Review

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Feb 26 02:51:54 UTC 2019

On 2/25/19 7:23 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>> There are similarities and differences between our DIP process and
>> paper submission reviews at conferences and journals everywhere; one
>> key similarity is that the submitters are on hook for providing
>> convincing submissions, whereas reviewers are not required to defend
>> their reviews. It's an asymmetric relationship that occasionally
>> frustrates, but it is as such for good reason and it works.
>
> I've said before that that comparison is weak and not particularly
> useful, irrespective of  its intention.

That you've said it before does not make it any more correct. We have
intently modeled the acceptance process after that used by the review
process used by conferences, journals, and standardization committees -
naturally from the communities I have some familiarity with (Programming
Languages, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Algorithms,
ISO C++). So the alleged similarities are more of a statement of fact
than a metaphor.

There are differences, too, of which the public discussions in this
forum is the main one. This is in danger of getting abused; open
discussions around DIPs in this forum give the false impression that DIP
authors have the authority to demand any extent of explanation and
justification of a decision. We do not have the capacity to do that, and
it would not be anymore appropriate than journal reviewers being
required to provide detailed feedback to submitters' satisfaction. This
whole notion of a meeting whereby Walter is grilled by a committee on
why exactly he rejected DIP 1016 is Kafkaesque.

> The keyword here is "short". By suggesting that the action required is
> to rewrite, the order is most definitely not short. Time is a valuable
> resource, and a new DIP from scratch through the DIP process takes a lot
> of it.

You can count on me to massage the bureaucracy out of the process if
that's the bottleneck. The most significant bit is to focus on working
together toward making the proposal better, as opposed to focusing on
negotiating acceptance. But whether the DIP keeps the number or gets
another one, if the revised document is a 95% cut and paste of the
existing one, the review is liable to be a 95% cut and paste of the
existing one.