DIP 1018--The Copy Constructor--Formal Review

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 09:11:21 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 at 10:46:37 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Walter and Andrei have requested the Final Review round be
> dropped for DIP 1018, "The Copy Constructor", and have given it
> their formal approval. They consider copy constructors a
> critical feature for the language.
>
> Walter provided feedback on Razvan's implementation. When it
> reached a state with which he was satisfied, he gave the green
> light for acceptance.
>
> The DIP:
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1018.md
>

> The implementation:
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8688

Are there any other concerns regarding the copy constructor DIP?
Although the debate about the value of const's transitivity is an
interesting one, it is orthogonal to this proposal.

Regarding the mutability of the copy constructor source: it is
not mandatory that the source is mutable; you can define it as
const, it's just that it is not going to work with mutable
objects that contain indirections. There is no workaround for
this, and per the current language rules this is not a problem.

As for the *by ref* rvalue DIP, I suggest that the discussion
should be moved in an other forum thread, as the discussion is
hijacked from getting feedback for DIP 1018

Cheers,
RazvanN