The D Programming Language has been accepted as a GSoC 2019 organization

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Tue Feb 26 22:34:45 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I have some very exciting news to share.

The D Language Language got accepted as a Google Summer of Code
organization!

The official GSoC page provides a few initial pointers and
details:

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6103365956665344

Below, I will try to answer a few common questions:

What projects will be offered?
------------------------------

You can find a list of potential projects at the D wiki:

https://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2019_Ideas

However, students can, of course, come up with their own
projects, too!

And @community: it's still possible to add more projects to this
list.
You can also put them new/old ideas up for discussion in the
"General" Newsgroup. Though, it would be great if you could use
the "[gsoc]" tag, s.t. we can keep track:

https://forum.dlang.org/newpost/general?subject=%5Bgsoc%5D

I want to propose my own project. What should I do?

The list of proposed projects isn't final and we do encourage new
project proposals as we want you to enjoy the GSoC and find a
project that you care about.
A rough road-map to a successful submission for your own project
would be:

1) Evaluate your project and its planned outcome: how can this
project help the D community? (good examples: compiler, druntime
standard library, dub, popular dub projects)

2) Discuss your idea with the D community (e.g. here in the
General forum) [optional, but recommended]

3) Get in touch with the D organization admins for guidance
[optional, but recommended]. For obvious reasons we can't tell
you whether your project proposal would be accepted, but we can
tell you whether your project domain works in general.

4) Prepare and submit your proposal on the GSoC website

What will you look at when judging applications?

A few rough points that we will look at (we will publish more on
this):

- your proposed road-map (i.e. how likely is it for you to finish
successfully?)
- your skill set in regards to your project (i.e. have you done
anything in the problem domain you're applying for?)
- engagement in the community / experience with D (i.e. your
prior contributions to D)

I highly recommend you to read this student guide as it contains
very helpful advice on the GSoC:

http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/what-is-google-summer-of-code

I'm new to D and would like to apply. Is this still possible?

Yes of course and we do encourage you to do so.
However, we recommend you to get involved with D prior to your
proposal submission deadline in April.
Two good starting points are:

- https://tour.dlang.org/
- https://wiki.dlang.org/Get_involved

Bugzilla can be a bit daunting at first, but there's also the
"bootcamp" label on Bugzilla:

https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=phobos&keywords=bootcamp%2C%20preapproved&keywords_type=anywords&list_id=225005&product=D&query_format=advanced&resolution=---

You can always ask for help and pointers to getting involved on
the DForum, IRC or Slack.

Where can I ask questions?

- DForum
(https://forum.dlang.org/newpost/general?subject=%5Bgsoc%5D)