The D Programming Language has been accepted as a GSoC 2019 organization

JN 666total at wp.pl
Wed Feb 27 16:05:28 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 at 16:01:15 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 22:34:45 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have some very exciting news to share.
>>
>> The D Language Language got accepted as a Google Summer of
>> Code organization!
>>
>> The official GSoC page provides a few initial pointers and
>> details:
>>
>> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6103365956665344
>
> You guys give a very nice description of the language on that
> page. If I didn’t already use D, I would want to now!
>
> Bastiaan.

Or be turned off. If I didn't know about D, from that description
I'd think it's some experimental language for whom Boost wasn't
crazy enough with templates. "The best, most innovative ways to
use the D language are yet to be discovered." That's great. But
it doesn't answer the most important questions - what can it be
used for, what makes it different than say C++ or Java.

Although I doubt it matters in a description on a page like that.

As for GSoC, good luck to all participants. I think just as
important are the ideas, it's important to deliver on them, so we
don't end up with lost effort such as with std.experimental.xml,
which is kind of in a limbo right now.