The D Programming Language has been accepted as a GSoC 2019 organization

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Feb 27 18:04:42 UTC 2019

On 2/27/19 11:05 AM, JN wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 at 16:01:15 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 22:34:45 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>>
>>> The D Language Language got accepted as a Google Summer of Code
>>> organization!

Awesome!

> Or be turned off. If I didn't know about D, from that description I'd
> think it's some experimental language for whom Boost wasn't crazy enough
> with templates. "The best, most innovative ways to use the D language
> are yet to be discovered." That's great. But it doesn't answer the most
> important questions - what can it be used for, what makes it different
> than say C++ or Java.

In my experience, when non-D-users are asking that question, what
they're REALLY looking for is one (and only one) gimmick that the entire
D language (and ONLY D) takes religiously at the negligence of all else.
And since "pragmatism" isn't a trendy silver-bullet ideology like Java's
"Everything is an object", or JS's "Everything is a variant", Python's
"Everything is a variant AND we have 'Zen'", Haskell's "Though shalt not
do imperative", or Go's "ZOMG, It's from teh Google Gods!!!", so they
gripe about not being spoon-fed marketing BS and walk away. Habitual
consumerists. They're lost souls, slaves to pack mentality, so forget
about them. Target leaders and thinkers instead.

Although frankly, I have to admit, this whole "Fast code, fast" thing is
complete and utter rubbish compared to the "Better C++" that we've now
decided to be politically incorrect (very ironically, despite active
promotion of "betterC").