Project Highlight: Spasm

Radu void at null.pt
Thu Feb 28 12:47:32 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 at 12:24:27 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> You may have seen Sebastiaan Koppe's announcements about his
> work with D and WebAssembly, the most recent regarding his
> project, Spasm. He sent me a great deal of information about
> the project, from which I was able to put together the first
> Project Highlight of 2019. He talks about how the project came
> about, what it does, and where it's going.
>
> The Blog:
> https://dlang.org/blog/2019/02/28/project-highlight-spasm/
>
> Reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/avqioi/spasm_d_to_webassembly_for_single_page_apps/

Nice!

Re. the memory management section, I wonder if reference counting
using dip1000 would work for memory management.

You could also use the type system information for a D malloc
implementation that uses free lists for known sizes. Something in
line with https://github.com/JinShil/memcpyD
It is quite interesting to see that WebAssembly lines up pretty
close to bare metal programming, maybe there are some synergies
here that can be exploited and create the minimum runtimes for
both.