My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Mon Jan 14 10:18:34 UTC 2019

On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 07:50:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/13/2019 9:31 PM, Paul Backus wrote:
>> Scheme is probably the language that takes this idea of a
>> minimal "core language" with powerful metaprogramming
>> facilities the furthest, and the result is a fragmented
>> ecosystem that makes writing portable, non-trivial programs
>> close to impossible. (See "The Lisp Curse" [1].)
>>
>> When something like an object system is made part of the
>> language (or at the very least, the standard library), it
>> becomes a focal point [2] that the community can coordinate
>> around. Due to the diverse, distributed nature of any
>> programming-language community, trying to coordinate through
>> explicit communication is not really a viable option, so
>> having these kinds of focal points is very important if we
>> want to be able to work together on anything.
>>
>> [1] http://winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html
>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_point_(game_theory)
>
> Interesting cites, which provide a basis for why I've opposed
> AST macros, and why Ddoc and unittest are builtin (and a few
> other things).
>
> Also, before std::string came along in C++, everyone invented
> their own string class, and as a result, nobody could share
> code.

This is exactly the argument to get a database driver
(mysql,postgres...) and probably a webserver in std.

But to avoid getting std.lib to big, the D Foundation might adopt
some third party libs as core libraries, so they get maintained
within the D Foundation Git account to make them somehow official.

We are now approaching the 1500 Dub package, and the ecosystem
becomes more and more complex.

(https://code.dlang.org/  1482 packages: The search for mysql now
returns 23 packages. Please tell me which to use for the back
end, of your own vibe.d app. I give you 5 minutes...:-)
Regards mt.