My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available

aliak something at something.com
Tue Jan 15 05:18:45 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 12 January 2019 at 15:51:03 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://youtube.com/watch?v=tcyb1lpEHm0
>
> If nothing else please watch the opening story, it's true and
> quite funny :o).
>
> Now as to the talk, as you could imagine, it touches on another
> language as well...
>

> Andrei

Awesome talk! As usual.

Regarding this quote: "The ruby guy next to you is writing just
as crappy code..."  I don't think that's really correct. The
reference is code complete, which is published in 93 (i.e. no
java, no ruby, before the stl even?) and i believe (just googled
this so may be wrong) the reference in that book is from a 1977
paper on programmer quality and productivity and the 2004 edition
of code complete changes the number form 15 to 50 / 1000 to 1 ..
25 / 1000, but references the same paper afaik.

Here's a more recent study:
http://rayb.info/uploads/cacm2017-lang.pdf

Here's an article that summarizes it ->
https://www.i-programmer.info/news/98-languages/11184-which-languages-are-bug-prone.html

Quote from article:

"The languages with the strongest positive coefficients - meaning
associated with a greater number of defect fixes are C++, C, and
Objective-C, also PHP and Python.  On the other hand, Clojure,
Haskell, Ruby and Scala all have significant negative
coefficients implying that these languages are less likely than
average to result in defect fixing commits."

Also this is more anecdotal, but for example going from
objective-c to swift, the number of non-application-specific bugs
per line (regardless of whether or not that's even a good measure
🤷‍♂️), i feel, has gone down by an exaggerated order of magnitude.

Cheers,
- Ali