My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 16 05:32:51 UTC 2019

On 1/15/2019 10:39 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Perhaps we shouldn't support user defined types or functions either ;)

You deliberately wrote that, and I'm confident you'd never try to pass that off
as good work.

With macros, however, programmers are convinced they are creating models of
clarity. I've seen programmers truly believe:

     #define BEGIN {
     #define END }

improves their C code. Fortunately, that was ridiculed out of existence in the
1980s, but the more subtle abuses persist with their ardent defenders. I used to
use a lot of macros in my C code, and a few years back made an effort to remove
them all from the dmd source code. The result was very satisfactory.

I've seen entire code bases abandoned because of macros after the original
developer left.