My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:59:20 UTC 2019

On 1/15/19 4:37 AM, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
> On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 18:52:02 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2019-01-14 15:42, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>
>>> That's a bad example :) The clear answer is mysql-native, which is
>>> what vibe.d recommends.
>>
>> Exactly, and I don't need five minutes for that. Five seconds is
>> enough :)
> Ok, bad example,  but let's say you want ORM mapping, too and to have
> the ability to switch to Postgres later? So what would you recommend?

I should have said that your point is mostly correct, just that this is
a bad example :)

I've looked for ORM on code.dlang.org, and never found one yet that I
liked. So the answer would take infinite seconds to complete.

But let's say we put ORM into Phobos. Certainly, it would get heavy use,
but I would be likely to believe that it would not cover the problem
space completely, and leave quite a bit to be desired.

I think that there are some things that can go into the standard library
and live there happily. There are other things that should be left to
the community, even though they are essential, simply because locking
into one implementation/API/idea is too restrictive.

-Steve