B Revzin - if const expr isn't broken (was Re: My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available)

John Carter john.carter at taitradio.com
Wed Jan 16 23:43:19 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 12 January 2019 at 15:51:03 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://youtube.com/watch?v=tcyb1lpEHm0

> Now as to the talk, as you could imagine, it touches on another

Somebody on the C++ side has written a reply....

https://brevzin.github.io/c++/2019/01/15/if-constexpr-isnt-broken/

Although looking at the implementation of std::conditional in the
type_traits header makes me sad...

I would love to see the whole checkedint thing in C++ side by
side with the d code (and generated -Os object code).

Conversely I'd love to see a Rust implementation too :-)

Given that I have probably written a lot more C++ code in my life
than d...

...I do find it remarkable that I can read the d code quite
easily without reaching for the reference manual, but to make
sense of his C++, it sends me trawling around cppreference.com

I find Andrei's claim that checkint with a void hook reverts to
int is amazing, and would love to verify that at the assembly
level for both the C++ and d implementations.