B Revzin - if const expr isn't broken (was Re: My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available)

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:28:32 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 January 2019 at 10:23:11 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2019-01-17 23:44, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
>> YES!  This is the way it should be.  Type-tuples become first
>> class
>> citizens, and you can pass them around to functions and return
>> them from
>> functions
> No no no, not only type-tuples, you want types to be first
> class citizens. This makes it possible to store a type in a
> variable, pass it to and return from functions. Instead of a
> type-tuple, you want a regular array of types. Then it would be
> possible to use the algorithms in std.algorithm to manipulate
> the arrays. I really hate that today one needs to resort to
> things like staticMap and staticIndexOf.
>
> Of course, if we both get tuples and types as first class
> citizens it would be possible to store types in these tuples as
> well. But a tuple is usually immutable and I'm not sure if it
> would be possible to use std.algorithm on that.
>
> It would be awesome to be able to do things like this:
>
> type foo = int;
>
> type bar(type t)
> {
>     return t;
> }
>
> auto u = [byte, short, int, long].map!(t => t.unsigned).array;
> assert(u == [ubyte, ushort, uint, ulong];

Yes, you will be able to do exactly what you describe above.
type-tuples are strictly a superset of types; which also include
true compile-time constants. (e.g. things you can use to
instantiate a template with.)

Within type functions you are able to create `alias[]` which is
in some ways equivalent to type-tuple (and will be converted to
one upon being returned outside of compile-functions),which you
can append to if you own it and type functions can also take
other type-functions as parameters.
Therefore it's perfectly possible to implement staticMap in terms
of type functions.
I already did the semantic sanity checks, and it shows promise.

The only difference that type-functions have from what you
describe is that it does not need to occupy a keyword 'type'.

Cheers,
Stefan