The New Fundraising Campaign

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jan 19 16:15:21 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 03:28:12PM +0000, user1234 via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 January 2019 at 14:14:32 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 08:17:30AM +0000, Anonymouse via
> > Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> > [...]
> > > For us on the browser pages don't always load, though.
> >
> > That's a valid complaint.  It would serve us well if the Foundation
> > can pay for dedicated hardware for the forum, instead of the current
> > machine that seems to get overloaded every so often.
> >
> > Or if the problem is software, pay for someone to fix it or replace
> > it with something that doesn't have this problem.
[...]
> Yeah, I think the main problem is the database locks.
> People discussed about the that previously.

Yeah I vaguely remember that.

I wonder if it's worth it to split the database into an active part (for
recent threads) and an archive part (for older threads that are unlikely
to change). Most of the lookups will be in the smaller active part,
which hopefully will be more performant, and old posts will be migrated
to the archive to maintain a maximum active size.

But I could be misunderstanding the problem.

The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body. This means that only left-handed people are in their right mind. -- Manoj Srivastava