Top Five World’s Most Underrated Programming Languages

JN 666total at wp.pl
Wed Jan 23 12:20:11 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 at 11:42:24 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 at 09:58:05 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
> wrote:
>>>
>>> D is a lot like Scala on the JVM: Both language have myriads
>>> of language features and bells and whistles, but there is no
>>> killer feature in the language itself.
>>
>> For me the killer feature is meta-programming. No other
>> language comes close.
>
> It's a nice feature, but won't make any startup company choose
> D or any other company as the language for their next software
> product.

Well, the truth is, people don't come to a language because of a
killer feature. Sometimes it's even the opposite. Java and Dart
are familiar to some extent because of lack of killer features.
But what they might lack in "expressiveness", they make up for
with amazing ecosystem and IDE support (which is usually
inversely proportional to language expressiveness). I can't think
of any language that is popular just because of language
features. Python? Not really, it has a great standard library, a
broad ecosystem of libraries for networking, science etc. Rust?
Not really. While their memory management features are cool, many
people flock to Rust because of its rapidly growing ecosystem and
a good strategy/project scope management.