Top Five World’s Most Underrated Programming Languages

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Jan 23 14:14:06 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 at 12:26:02 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:

> Also as an FYI, Rust has had significant marketing effort put
> into it. Consider its home page, it tells a story to get you
> into developing code fast. D's doesn't. It is much better and I
> think it might be time to have a complete rethink of D's
> because the last redesign wasn't all that different to what it
> was prior.

I've made this comparison many times before, but I'll do it
again...

Look at what Rust offers as documentation for Cargo:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/cargo/index.html

This is what you get with Dub:
https://dub.pm/getting_started

One is professional documentation, the other was something hacked
together by a sixth grader over the weekend. The Dub
documentation is good through the part demonstrating `dub init`,
then it falls apart. It talks about two configuration file
formats - not one, but two ("use whichever you prefer") and I
have no idea there is even a discussion of configuration file
formats at that point. Then there's a link to this word dump
https://dub.pm/package-format-json.html.

Noticeably absent: how I'm supposed to *use* Dub. Where do I put
my source files? How do I add dependencies? Have you ever heard
of an example?

Then a little below that is a link to this page:
https://dub.pm/publish.html. I wonder what that is for. Can't
make heads or tails out of that.

This is *introduction to the language*. If someone sees that and
doesn't run away, there's something wrong. I most definitely
would have gone with Rust if it had been usable when I started
using D. The Dub documentation makes it really hard to bring in
users - and makes Rust look like a sane language in comparison.