Top Five World’s Most Underrated Programming Languages

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Wed Jan 23 16:47:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 14:37:30 +0000, Bienlein wrote:
> This is all true, but you need to keep in mind that Go had no real
> package manager for a long time. There was the "go get" command which
> loaded the code from some github repo in the state it was at the time
> when being loaded. There was no version control. Nobody really cared
> (the vendor stuff in Go was added with Go 1.10 or 1.11). Goroutines were
> the killer feature of the language that paved the way, because this was
> badly needed for writing server-side software.

Go has several killer features:
* It's got a GC and yet is endorsed by one of the major people behind C.
This helps people get over their fear of garbage collection and into
appreciating the benefits.
* It's also got "pointers". They're actually references with pointer-ish
syntax, but that makes people coming from C/C++ more comfortable.
* It's not Java, and it's not slower than Java.
* There was a team in Google that would rewrite old, crufty C++ code in
Go. Was Go a benefit? Maybe in some ways, but the major benefit was a
rewrite that the owning team didn't have to do. That earned goodwill among
thousands of developers attached to Go as a language.
* It's backed by Google (in large part because of that goodwill).

I don't think fibers are all that important for Go's success. Maybe for
people who would have looked at node.js but didn't want to use javascript?