Top Five World’s Most Underrated Programming Languages

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Jan 24 14:44:07 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 at 18:42:06 UTC, bauss wrote:

> Go is garbage and it's only popular because Google is behind it.
>
> It has absolutely nothing to do with the language itself.

I don't know if I'd agree that it's garbage - it has a lot of
appeal to certain types of programmers, though not to me - but I
do agree that it's popular (to whatever extent it is) because of
Google. I remember when the language was first announced, there
were a lot of people excited by the prospect that GOOGLE IS
CREATING A LANGUAGE. IT HAS TO BE AWESOME. These were not people
who tried the language and found it to be better than the
alternatives. They were people who hadn't even seen it. That was
back in the days when Microsoft was the devil and Google were the
good guys.

Of course, one could argue that it must have offered enough to
keep some of them interested. They were able to get stuff done
when they used it.