New Fundraiser: D Forums Server

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:01:31 UTC 2019

One of the options we were considering for a new fundraising
campaign was raising money for Vladimir's continuing efforts on
the forums. He's been maintaining them, and covering the server,
without any compensation since the beginning. The recent thread
about forum outages pushed all other considerations aside: it's
time to support Vladimir.

However, being the awesome guy he is, he insisted we only help
out in covering the server costs. So that's what we're setting
out to do with the new campaign.

He has a list of options to improve the forum performance, one of
which he recently implemented (moving the database to a new
partition). A new server with more resources and an SSD should
show an even bigger win. Then he can take the time to do his
other optimizations at his leisure.

We're asking the community to contribute $2000 to cover the new
server for one year, with a little bit extra for any incidentals
that arise. This is a campaign we want to make an annual event so
that Vladimir never has to pay out of pocket for the server again.

The campaign is available from the menu on the Donate page, but
you can go straight to it here:

https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NDkzNjc=

And if you also want to support Vladimir in the broader work he
does on all the open source software he puts out, he has a
Patreon page that is looking pretty empty right now:

https://www.patreon.com/cybershadow

Next month, I'll be launching Round 2 of the PR Manager campaign
for another three months of PR trimming goodness. We pulled in
$3,124 from Round 1, so the extra $124 will be used for a head
start on Round 2.

I'll put all of this in a blog post in the next few days, along
with some other info.