DIP 1016--ref T accepts r-values--Formal Assessment

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 03:56:17 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 7:44 PM Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 4:00 AM Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
> >
> > The DIP should not invent its own syntax
>
> I removed it, and replaced it with simpler code (that I think is
> exception-correct) in my prior post here. It's also a super-trivial
> amendment.

Incidentally, the reason I invented a syntax in this DIP, was because
we have no initialisation syntax in D, despite the language clearly
having the ability to initialise values (when they're declared); we
have an amazingly complex and awkward library implementation of
`emplace`, which is pretty embarrassing really.
The fact that I needed to invent a syntax to perform an initialisation
is a very serious problem in its own right.

But forget about that; I removed the need to express initialisation
from the rewrite.