DIP 1016--ref T accepts r-values--Formal Assessment

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 29 10:47:29 UTC 2019

On 1/28/2019 10:10 PM, Manu wrote:
>> Furthermore, D has these match levels:
>>
>>       1. exact
>>       2. const
>>       3. conversion
>>       4. no match
>>
>> If there are two or more matches at the same level, the decision is made based
>> on partial ordering. How does adding the new ref/value overloading fit into that?
>
> I haven't described this well. I can try and improve this.
> Where can I find these existing rules detailed comprehensively? I have
> never seen them mentioned in the dlang language reference.

It's where it should be, under "Function Overloading":

https://dlang.org/spec/function.html#function-overloading

> If you had have spotted it 4-5 months ago, I would have wasted a LOT
> less time... and now you're asking me to sign up for another few
> hundred days of do-over from square-1.

It's pretty clear that just writing the DIP myself will take me less time than
point-by-point endlessly arguing about it. But it will take more calendar time,
because all this stuff falls to me. It's why I get paid the big bucks.