GtkD Blog Now Up and Running

Christian Köstlin christian.koestlin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:09:57 UTC 2019

On 29.01.19 22:47, Ron Tarrant wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 at 21:13:17 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
>
>> hey it's easy, you can also use SDL! :p
>>
>> dub.sdl:
>> name "my-awesome-gtk-app"
>>
>> dependency "gtk-d" version="~>3.8.5"
>>

>> ... and that's it already actually. It will compile everything in the
>> "source" folder and add the dependencies with it.
>>
>> And well you will have to add DLLs and stuff like you would need to
>> with pure dmd, gtk-d doesn't ship any DLLs.
>
> Okay, so I create a file, name it dub.sdl and put this in it:
>
> name "my-awesome-gtk-app"
>
> dependency "gtk-d" version="~>3.8.5"
>
> And this goes in the same folder as the code file. And then... what? I
> type: dub?
>
> Just for the record, this is completely different from what I was
> reading before about this dub stuff.
Yes. Its as simple as:

(dmd-2.084.0)~/tmp >  mkdir gtkdtest
(dmd-2.084.0)~/tmp >  cd gtkdtest/
(dmd-2.084.0)~/t/gtkdtest >  dub init
Package recipe format (sdl/json) [json]: sdl
Name [gtkdtest]:
Description [A minimal D application.]: A minimal GTKD application.
Author name [....]:
License [proprietary]:
Copyright string [....]:
Add dependency (leave empty to skip) []: gtk-d
Adding dependency gtk-d ~>3.8.5
Add dependency (leave empty to skip) []:
Successfully created an empty project in '/...../tmp/gtkdtest'.
Package successfully created in .
(dmd-2.084.0)~/t/gtkdtest >

pasteing a simple gtkd hello world into source/app.d

and then run

(dmd-2.084.0)~/t/gtkdtest > dub run

I was surprised how simple it is nowadays even in osx.

kind regards,
christian