DIP 1016--ref T accepts r-values--Formal Assessment

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:58:38 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 at 04:34:46 UTC, Don wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 at 03:01:36 UTC, 12345swordy
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 at 00:25:17 UTC, Don wrote:
>>> But what I fail to see is why can't the programmer solve this
>>> themselves instead of relying on a new feature that would
>>> cause more harm?
>>
>>> Donald.
>>
>> ...Did you even read the arguments in the dip? This has been
>> discuss quite a lot in the forums, it even gives you links to
>> them.
>
> Well, I read the DIP and the whole forum discussion back in the
> day, and again I think this will create more harm than benefits
> the way it was proposed.
> Donald.

I do not accept gut feeling as a valid objection here. The
current workarounds is shown to be painful as shown in the dip
and in the discussions that it currently link. That *the*
motivation here.
I am familiar with the author here, he is very involved with the
C++<->D compatibility side of things. He knows the pain from
first hand experience.

-Alex