Visual D 0.50.0 released

a11e99z black80 at bk.ru
Tue Jun 25 12:24:03 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 23 June 2019 at 17:58:27 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> today a new version of Visual D has been released.

before I used VS2017 with VD 0.49. was ok. then I uninstalled it
both.
then installed VS2019 (.NET only), installed VD 0.50, installed
Build Tools for 2019 (C++), installed DMD & LDC as unpack distros
to some folder and added PATH to their bin dirs - CLI is working
now.

and now I have some issues with new VD 0.50:
- (weird but can live with it) mode "betterC" looks in settings
like "remove some runtime info and helper functions" - not clear
too much coz I thoughts that this option decrease compiled EXE
size. please give to it more clear text like "betterC"
- (in concert) Visual D Settings\Updates\Base directory
for what needed that directory? for D projects? (oh, we are in
tab "Updates") then what I should point here DMD directory (that
can be in ProgramFiles if i used DMD installer)? LDC directory
(that can be in any other user dir)? or I should point just
"C:\"? weird name and option.
- Path to VS Linker exists only in DMD Directories tab for x64.
What for GDC and LDC in case I dont install DMD at all?

and now main troubles: I cant build any D project any more from
VS.
- compiling as "DMD x64": OPTLINK can not build EXE coz VD gives
to it probably weird option. OPTLINK points to "/OUT:.." option
and I dont used any nonASCII chars. dunno whats wrong. DMD still
can build EXE from CLI.
- compiling as "LDC x64": again used OPTLINK. why? LDC has own
lld-link.
- ok. remove DMD from VS options and from PATH var. LDC tried to
use link.exe. why? it has own lld-link again. see next point.
- coz I installed Build Tools(C++) separate form VS my folder to
libs and tools located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools" not in the "..\Community".
Probably its MS problem but I have what I have. so using
VCINSTALLDIR is not good option for all cases. Try to check
folder BuildTools too and VCINSTALLDIR for lastest build tools
and libs. I can point VD settings manually but VD can do it
automatically - just to check two folders instead one.