Priority DIP for Draft Review: Argument Ownership and Function Calls

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 07:52:59 UTC 2019

On Friday, 28 June 2019 at 07:22:56 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 June 2019 at 10:51:33 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/158
>
> I'm going to be candid here:
>
> Based on past experience, I'm worried that:
> - This DIP will generate a lot of negative feedback.
> - Walter will ignore most of that feedback, or cherry-pick a
> few arguments that resonate with him, and ignore the others.
> - People will ask for a more formal specification, and Walter
> will refuse on the ground that he isn't a PL theorist / that
> the DIP is only a first step towards a more complete borrowing
> scheme.
> - Walter will not lay out what that complete borrowing scheme
> looks like, on the grounds that it's too early to tell.
> - Because of its importance for future features, the DIP is
> going to be rushed despite the unnadressed criticisms.
>
> Can we get some assurance this isn't going to be the case?
>
> I'm particularly interested in flow analysis features, and I
> think I have something to contribute, but I don't want to spend
> a large amount of effort debating and suggesting alternatives
> if I expect to be stonewalled.

It's up to the discretion of *every* DIP author whether to act on
feedback from the review rounds. DIP authors are required to
address DIPs in the review threads, but they are not required to
address them via revision. You will have your chance to provide
your feedback, but no one is going to guarantee that your
feedback will lead to changes.

This DIP will not be rushed through. The review process starts
with the first Community Review round. Once that happens, it will
follow the same (recently revised) schedule as every DIP
currently does.