DIP 1000--Scoped Pointers--Superseded

Olivier FAURE couteaubleu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 22:57:33 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 7 March 2019 at 14:24:29 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> The implementation supersedes the DIP.

I think the question a lot of people have in mind is "Is there
any plan to formally organize a discussion about the future of
scoped pointers?"

More specifically, are you planning a new DIP discussing the
semantics of scope and return scope, ideally one that would take
into account previous feedback, address concerns that DIP-1000
had originally inspired, and include an analysis of the pros and
cons of -dip1000's implementation, as reported by its current
users?

Less formally, what I mean is that a lot of people had concerns
at the time DIP-1000 was discussed; many of these concerns
(including mine) weren't really addressed, and Walter's reaction
gave the impression that he didn't understand them, and as a
result, considered them unimportant, which led to a lot of
frustration (including, if I remember correctly, Dicebot stepping
down as DIP manager) and a general break in communication between
Walter and the community.

So, considering how important scoped pointers are to the language
(betterC, webasm, video games, C++ interop, competing with Rust),
I think (and I realize this is a lot to ask) that this is an area
where Walter needs to bite the bullet and make a sustained effort
to interact with the community and address DIP-1000's problems,
whether by starting another DIP or through some other mean.

If nothing else, we should probably have a "Who here uses
-dip1000, and does it work for you?" thread.