The D Programming Language has been accepted as a GSoC 2019 organization

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 20:14:44 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 at 16:05:28 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 at 16:01:15 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 22:34:45 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have some very exciting news to share.
>>>
>>> The D Language Language got accepted as a Google Summer of
>>> Code organization!
>>>
>>> The official GSoC page provides a few initial pointers and
>>> details:
>>>
>>> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6103365956665344
>>
>> You guys give a very nice description of the language on that
>> page. If I didn’t already use D, I would want to now!
>>
>> Bastiaan.
>
> Or be turned off. If I didn't know about D, from that
> description I'd think it's some experimental language for whom
> Boost wasn't crazy enough with templates. "The best, most
> innovative ways to use the D language are yet to be
> discovered." That's great. But it doesn't answer the most
> important questions - what can it be used for, what makes it
> different than say C++ or Java.
>
> Although I doubt it matters in a description on a page like
> that.
>
> As for GSoC, good luck to all participants. I think just as
> important are the ideas, it's important to deliver on them, so
> we don't end up with lost effort such as with
> std.experimental.xml, which is kind of in a limbo right now.

Being too technical can sometimes blind you from expressing
yourself in a way that is friendly to new adopters. Something
I've noticed...and when you throw in java, C++ etc., that's poor
marketing...you just assumed the person already knows and have
use those programming languages. You sell your product as it is,
don't bring competitors in your pitch... ruins the whole flow
sometimes.