New DConf Blog Post

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 23 10:09:12 UTC 2019

On 03/23/2019 02:02 AM, Piotrek wrote:

 > As usual, Ali is bringing something cool:
 > "The D programming language is used in writing development tools at
 > Mercedes-Benz Research and Development, North America."

Thank you but this is only about software development tools.

 > This is a great sign that D can get more awareness in the automotive
 > industry. Looking forward to D on wheels.

Don't hold your breath. :) With the disclaimer that I don't and can't
speak for my employer, the automotive industry takes safety very
seriously and embraces standards and guidelines like ISO 26262, MISRA,
AUTOSAR, etc. I think every manufacturer should scrutinize all hardware
and software components including compilers and libraries that they use.

Coding guidelines like MISRA and AUTOSAR have been developed and matured
for C++ for years. There is no equivalent for D for it to be even
considered by the automotive industry.

 > Cheers,
 > Piotrek

Ali