Portable D compiler builds

Temtaime temtaime at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 17:00:12 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 30 March 2019 at 14:18:05 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Friday, 29 March 2019 at 20:40:08 UTC, Temtaime wrote:
>> Yay, latest stable ldc was added alongside rdmd, ldmd2,
>> dustmite and ddemangle tools for both ldc and dmd!
>
> It's not quite clear to me what your goals are. Official DMD
> and LDC packages are portable, don't require any external
> dependencies either and ship with these tools.
>
> Your DMD builds are 64-bit and compiled with LDC, vs. 32-bit
> and DMD of official builds, so that's an improvement.
>
> I downloaded your LDC build and after a quick glance noticed
> that it's 32-bit (?) and contains
> * just the x86 and x86_64 LLVM backends (e.g., no support for
> WebAssembly and dcompute),
> * a phobos.lib merging both druntime and Phobos (DMD-style,
> unlike official LDC),
> * NO debug and LTO versions of druntime/Phobos,
> * NO dynamicCompile/JIT and compiler-rt libraries (e.g., needed
> for profiling),
> * superfluous imports (the internal/hidden gc and rt packages),
> * NO imports/ldc/gccbuiltins*.di,
> * NO readme and license files,
> * NO `-link-defaultlib-shared=false` in the config file, so
> that linking DLLs with `-shared` probably fails,
> * the static MS libs which cannot be officially redistributed
> (license...) but allow people to generate binaries not
> depending on the MS runtime DLLs.
>
> Once your goals are clearer, there may be much simpler
> solutions, e.g., augmenting the official LDC builds by the MS
> libs instead of the MinGW-based ones.

Hi, thanks for a reply.
The goal is to provide a complete solution to build an ordinary d
app without having visual studio installed.
Static libs for imports are taken from a pelles c compiler and
can be redistributed, i'll add a notice and license files.
Dmd for now can only work with omf libs and link only 32 bit
apps, ldc - with mingw libs.
Many packages on code.dlang.org uses coff format, so at least for
me other variants are not acceptable.
LTO version of phobos/runtime is on the list with some other
features.