utiliD: A library with absolutely no dependencies for bare-metal programming and bootstrapping other D libraries

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 03:45:41 UTC 2019

In an attempt to put some impetus behind an idea that I've
proposed multiple times on the forum, I've resurrected my utiliD
repository:  https://github.com/JinShil/utiliD  I decided to
resurrect the repository after this brief discussion:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/bjycwgrifumsfrhprjho@forum.dlang.org

The idea behind the library is that it would not depend on
druntime, phobos, C standard library, or anything else but would
still offer many of the features that those libraries provide.
To utilize the library, one would only need a D compiler. It
could be used in bare-metal programming, -betterC builds, or as a
fundamental utility library for implementing DMD, druntime, and
phobos themselves.

It's what I envision as a potential seed for Andrei's opt-in
continuum
(https://forum.dlang.org/post/q7j4sl$17pe$1@digitalmars.com).

I don't know what will ultimately happen with this library, if
anything, but even if all it does is facilitate brainstorming of
ideas, or as the genesis of some better idea, it will be a
success.

I don't have much time to work on it right now, as I'm currently
preoccupied fixing the compiler and the druntime to make
something like utiliD possible, but if others grok the idea and
want to help make it a reality, your help is most welcome.

Also, if any of you have already started something with the same
goals, I'll be happy to drop this repository and join you.

You can find me on Slack and Discord using the handle JinShil if
you wish to have a dialog about this.

Mike