bool (was DConf 2019 AGM Livestream)

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 12 05:43:01 UTC 2019

On 5/11/2019 7:27 PM, Mike Franklin wrote:
> I think Walter is conflating how bool is stored in memory with its
> semantics.

That's exactly what I'm deliberately doing.

> I'm currently considering using D's rich modeling features
> to create a new boolean type that behaves more like a boolean and less
> like a bit.  But it's unfortunate and disappointing we have to resort to
> something like that.

I understand. Every programmer, sooner or later, decides to step up and
take a swing at inventing boolean. (I have too - did you know that D
used to have a `bit` builtin type?) The programming landscape is
littered with the corpses of one after another. Phobos has multiple ones
- RefCountedAutoInitialize .yes and .no, and even a struct Yes and a
struct No. std.bitmanip has an enum A{True,False}. std.json has enum
E{True=true}. std.typecons has the bizarre enum
issue10647_isAlwaysTrue=true;. (One wonders what would happen if it was
set to false. Would it cause a rip in the fabric of space-time? I dare
not experiment with that!)

The C++ Committee currently is fiercely debating adding a "Boolean"
construct in one of the longest threads I've ever seen. One of their
problems is it conflicts with the endless "Boolean" types added to
existing C++ code, along with every variation "Bool", "Bool", "boolean",
etc.

All this effort strongly implies that there's no such thing as a
satisfactory bool type. Will you succeed where 10,000 other programmers
have failed? Seems unlikely. But I doubt I will dissuade you from trying.

So what does work reasonably? Treating it like a small integer. We know
what the various integer semantics are, and it fits right in with that.
I know the operator ++ difference, and it is my fault that I succumbed
to a moment of boolean madness and allowed that in. (++ on D bool is
saturation arithmetic, unlike the overflow semantics in every other
integer type. It is a mistake, please don't use that as justification
for adding more quirky behaviors.)

On a final note, C++ added a std::vector<bool> special case, which works
unlike any other vector type. Years of experience have shown that to
have been a mistake, just like all the others, and it is widely derided
as a complete failure.