bool (was DConf 2019 AGM Livestream)

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Wed May 15 01:34:27 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 at 01:15:43 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> That we even discuss just how bad bool is while we have no done
> deals for safety, reference counting, shared, package
> distribution/versioning, pay-as-you-go runtime, collections,
> ..., is a fascinating puzzle.

It can all be done simultaneously.  I'm working on a couple of
those items along with a few others simultaneously.

I can't dedicate all my energy to one item, though.  I often need
to work on something, and then step away from it for a while.  I
then work on something else, and when I get back to the first
item, I see with greater clarity.

Also, sometimes I have to wait for others.  For example, I submit
a DIP, and I need to wait for it to go through the process.
While that's happening I work on something else.

And then, sometimes, I just don't have many cycles left at the
end of the day.  But I still find it therapeutic to work on
trivial things; it relaxes me.

There's no reason any and all work that moves D forward shouldn't
be encouraged.  If bool is clowny, and someone's willing to do
something about it, why discourage them from doing so?

Mike