D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Tue May 21 19:51:25 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-21 16:51:43 +0000, Manu said:

>> The screencast shows a responsive 40x40 grid. Layouting the grid takes
>> about 230ms, drawing it about 10ms.
>
> O_o ... I feel like 230 *microseconds* feels about the right time, and
> ~100 microseconds for rendering.

I don't think that's fast enough :-)

>> So this gives us 36 FPS which is IMO pretty good for a desktop app target
>
> Umm, no. I would expect 240fps is the modern MINIMUM for a desktop
> app, you can easily make it that fast.

;-) Well, they key is to layout & render only changes. A responsive
grid is an evil test-case as this requires a full cylce on every frame.

> Incidentally, we have a multimedia library workgroup happening to
> build out a flexible and as-un-opinionated-as-we-can gfx and gui
> libraries which may serve a wider number of users than most existing
> libraries,

Ah, ok. Sounds interesting...

> perhaps you should join that effort, and leverage the perf
> experts we have? There's a channel #graphics on the dlang discord.

I will have a look... need to get discord up & running. Too many chat
channels these days...

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com