D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

NaN divide at by.zero
Sun May 26 11:09:52 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 23:23:31 UTC, Ethan wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 21:01:33 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
>>
>> Browsers are actually doing quite well with simple 2D graphics
>> today.
>
> Browsers have been rendering that on GPU for years.

Just because (for example) Chrome supports GPU rendering doesn't
mean every device it runs on does too. For example...

Open an SVG in your browser, take a screenshot and zoom in on an
almost vertical / horizontal edge, EG..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Ghostscript_Tiger.svg

If you look for an almost vertical or almost horizontal line and
check whether the antialiasing is stepped or smooth. GPU
typically maxes out at 16x for path rendering, CPU you generally
get 256x analytical. So for GPU you'll see more granularity in
the antialising at the edges, runs of a few pixels then a larger
change, for CPU you'll see each pixel change a small bit along
the egde.

Chrome is still doing path rendering on the CPU for me. (I did
make sure that the "use hardware acceleration when available"
flag was set in the advanced settings.)