D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon May 27 01:52:05 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 6:35 PM Ola Fosheim Grøstad via
Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 27 May 2019 at 00:33:45 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> (Abscissa) wrote:
> > flat-out wrong) to say about game programming. People hear the
> > word "game", associate it with "insignificant" and promptly
> > shut their brains off.
>
> Not insignificant, but also not necessarily relevant for the
> project in this thread.
>
> There is nothing wrong with Robert's approach from a software
> engineering and informatics perspective.
>
> Why do you guys insist on him doing it your way?

I don't insist, I was just inviting him to the chat channel where a
similar effort is already ongoing, and where there are perf experts
who can help.

> Anyway, if you were to pick up a starting point for a generic GUI
> engine then you would be better off with Skia than with Unity,
> that is pretty certain. And it is not an argument that is
> difficult to make.

Unity is perhaps the worst possible comparison point. That's not an
example of "designing computer software like a game engine", it's more
an example of "designing a game engine like a GUI application", which
is completely backwards. Optimising Unity games is difficult and
tiresome, and doesn't really have much relation to high-end games.
There's virtually no high-end games written in Unity, it's made for
small hobby or indy stuff. They favour accessibility over efficiency
at virtually all costs.
They do have the new HPC# ECS framework bolted on the side though,
that's the start of something sensible in Unity.