D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon May 27 02:08:39 UTC 2019

On Monday, 27 May 2019 at 01:52:05 UTC, Manu wrote:
> I don't insist, I was just inviting him to the chat channel
> where a similar effort is already ongoing, and where there are
> perf experts who can help.

Yes, sure, is always a good thing to hash out ideas with others
who have an interest in the same field.  Not to change your own
ideas, but to see more options. Absolutely!

> Unity is perhaps the worst possible comparison point. That's
> not an
> example of "designing computer software like a game engine",
> it's more
> an example of "designing a game engine like a GUI application",
> which
> is completely backwards. Optimising Unity games is difficult and
> tiresome, and doesn't really have much relation to high-end
> games.

It does look a bit bloated, but I haven't tried it. Just skimmed
over the docs.

Anyway, I think the fact that people buy JUCE is a sure sign that
you don't have to provide a perfect UI-framework. You just have
to provide a "complete" solution that is better than the
alternatives for some specific domains.

For JUCE that appears to be VST audio plugins, so JUCE also
provide some DSP algorithms.

Unity and Godot are "complete" solutions for small indy games.

I guess one major decision is to decide whether one provides a
limited library or a solution for a domain. Seems to me that it
is easier to gain traction by providing a solution.