D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 27 04:12:39 UTC 2019

On 5/26/19 9:52 PM, Manu wrote:

> Unity is perhaps the worst possible comparison point. That's not an
> example of "designing computer software like a game engine", it's more
> an example of "designing a game engine like a GUI application", which
> is completely backwards. Optimising Unity games is difficult and
> tiresome, and doesn't really have much relation to high-end games.
> There's virtually no high-end games written in Unity, it's made for
> small hobby or indy stuff. They favour accessibility over efficiency
> at virtually all costs.

While I agree completely (based on direct experience), I also feel
compelled to point out, just as an aside:

I've seen some games that make Unity look WAY worse than it really is.
Ex: The PS4 versions of "The Golf Club 2" and "Wheel of Fortune". As
much as I admit I enjoy *playing* those games, well...Unity may have its
technical drawbacks, but cooome ooon!!, even at that, it's still WAY
more capable than the steaming joke those games make Unity appear to be.
I've seen indie games on PS3 that did much a better job with Unity.

> They do have the new HPC# ECS framework bolted on the side though,
> that's the start of something sensible in Unity.

I'm chomping at the bit for that, particularly "Project Tiny". I'm
converting some old flash stuff to unity/webgl and that framework would
be fantastic for it. Only problem is I'm currently relying on some
things (like procedural geometry, though I suppose I could potentially
change that...) that AFAICT aren't yet supported by Project Tiny. But,
maybe if I'm lucky (or realllyyy slloooowwww....) it'll get there by the
time I'm done with the basic flash->unity conversion and ready to
re-architect it some more.