D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 27 04:46:42 UTC 2019

On 5/26/19 11:46 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Monday, 27 May 2019 at 03:35:48 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
>> suggestion that Robert could get this going an order of magnitude
>> faster without too terribly much trouble. Luckily, Ethan explained my
>> stance better than I was able to.
>
> I think you guys overestimate the importance of performance at this
> early stage.
>
> The hardest problem is to create a good usability experience and also
> provide an easy to use API for the programmer.

Again, I don't think anyone actually said that it absolutely needs to be
done *at this early stage*. I know I certainly didn't.

Besides, from what Robert described, it sounds like he already has it
decoupled and modular enough that performance *can* likely be improved
later (probably by an order of magnitude) without too much disruption to
it's core design. So, on that, believe it or not, it sounds like we
already agree. ;)

And I'll point out *again*, the only points I was trying to make here
were to dispel the misunderstandings, misinformation, and frankly
knee-jerk reactions towards game engines and, more importantly,
game-engine-like approaches.

But please understand, (and I strongly suspect this also speaks to the
reason for Ethan's arguably abrasive tone): It gets REALLY, *REALLY*
tiring when you spend the majority of your life studying a particular
discipline (videogame code) and, as far as you've EVER been able to
tell, pretty much the ENTIRE so-called-professional community outside of
that specific discipline has absolutely 100% verifiably WRONG ideas
about your field, and then they go and defend those falsehoods and
prejudices with more misinformation and dismissal.

And @Robert: FWIW, I *am* definitely curious to see where this project
goes. Also: While it *looks* in the video like a simple grid being
resized, you've commented that under-the-hood it's really more of a
flexbox-like design. This suggests that the computations you're doing
are (or will be) capable of far more flexibility than what is apparent
in the video. I'm curious what sorts of CSS flex-like features are
currently being accommodated for in the computations, and are projected
in the (hopefully?) near future?