D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 29 05:56:45 UTC 2019

On 5/28/19 6:50 PM, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 May 2019 at 20:54:59 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
> .
>>
>> The software we sell, would still fit on one floppy disk (if there are
>> still people knowing what it is). And I'm always saying: "Every good
>> software fits on one floppy-disk." Most people can't believe that this
>> is still possible.

I'd argue games are the obvious exception, just on account of the
graphics/sound/etc assets, but you definitely make a fair point.

> I remember VisiCalc.com.
> And I remember when no program would need more than 640k RAM.
> But I also remember installing msoffice from 31 floppy discs....

I think I still have a stack of floppies from an early version of MS
Visual C/C++. Plus similar floppy stacks from other 90's compilers[1]
But 31 install disks is quite impressive, I'm not sure I can match
that[2]. I tip my retro-hat to you, good sir!

[1] I realize others have me beat here, but just the memory of taking
college classes that utilized Visual Basic 6 makes me feel old...

[2] I think my earliest version of Office is new enough to be on CD-ROM
- back from the "Encarta" era - anyone remember that? I actually kinda
miss it, it made heavier use of audio/video than Wikipedia does. Heck,
it made the future seem much brighter than what we ended up with! (And,
interestingly, it also served as an early example of MS disregarding
their OS's UI design guidelines in their own apps. Still relevant today!)