Blog series to teach and show off D's metaprogramming by creating a JSON serialiser

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 11:29:11 UTC 2019

On Friday, 1 November 2019 at 10:39:42 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> FYI, string is a built-in type.

string is immutable(char)[], as we all know. Syntactic sugar, not
exactly a built in type but treating it like one is often
valuable.

To follow on from this, I'll share my experience with doing
exactly what SealabJaster is illustrating several times
previously:

You also want to catch const(char)[] and just plain char[] for
JSON serialisation purposes. So a template constraint that
catches all those is what you want instead of just is( T ==
string ).

Dealing with wstring and dstring can be handled for bonus
points... but eh, you only need to really worry about that if you
are writing a library (or heavily use Phobos...).