Release D 2.089.0

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Mon Nov 11 11:41:17 UTC 2019

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:25:46 AM MST Ron Tarrant via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 at 14:09:35 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> > Are you putting libs in the compiler's directory tree? Or are
> > you editing sc.ini/dmd.conf? You really shouldn't be doing the
> > former.
>
> I follow the steps outlined here:
> https://github.com/gtkd-developers/GtkD/wiki/Installing-on-Windows
>
> And one of those steps (Step #5) says to copy the gtkd libs to
> the compiler's directory tree. Is that what you mean by "You
> really shouldn't be doing the
> former."?
>
> And I also edit sc.ini.

You should pretty much never put anything in the compiler's directory tree,
and there's no need to. If you're editing the sc.ini, you might as well just
put your external libraries somewhere else and have sc.ini point to them
there. Putting code in a directory that the installer manages provides no
benefit while causing problems like the installer deleting it when updating.
In most cases though, the recommended thing to do is to just use dub rather
than manually mucking around with sc.ini or dmd.conf.

This reminds me of someone complaining that they couldn't just unzip the dmd
install on top of another and have it work (their code no longer compiled
aftery they'd just unzipped a release of dmd/phobos which had a split
std.datetime on top of one that didn't).

- Jonathan M Davis