release of code-d 0.21.0 + serve-d 0.5.1

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Wed Nov 13 23:17:21 UTC 2019

hi everyone,

after a long time there is finally a new update for my Visual
Studio Code extension "code-d"

serve-d is my Language Server Protocol implementation in D using
workspace-d as a backend. It implements a lot of features and is
highly optimized for use with code-d.

code-d is my D extension for the code editor Visual Studio Code
by Microsoft. It is currently the most popular/most installed
extension for D on the vscode marketplace and offers a lot of
functionality, especially for beginners. Especially after this
update it is pretty stable and can be used productively.

This updates brings a lot more stability improvements, lots of
bug fixes and a few cool new bigger features.

With this post I want to highlight:

- Precompiled binaries on all platforms -
OS X users will no longer have to wait for serve-d to compile
from source, nightly (previously beta stream) builds are now
always tested first and also available precompiled for all
platforms. This also means you no longer need a powerful machine
to use serve-d on these 3 OSes. There is also a new pre-release
setting which will get you new features more quickly but still
relatively stable. I would be happy to have as many people as
possible who report bugs to switch to this channel.

This makes it extremely easy to start out with D by simply
installing code-d in vscode and letting it setup everything plus
guiding you to installing a D compiler. Only on windows you might
still need to restart your PC to apply PATH changes. Windows
installation is in general more stabilized on PCs now which have
never had D installed before.

- New/Improved Code actions -
The "Implement Interface" command is now very well usable in
common projects. I am not the most heavy user of this, but
occasionally this is extremely helpful and I think people who
code D a bit more Java-like will certainly like this feature.

- Big dub build performance improvements -
linting is usually at least 2x faster and is fixed in general now.

- Issue parsing -
build tasks now have a built-in issue parser, there are build
tasks contributed by default which are editable now and the
built-in dub lint on save can also show "instantiated from..."
issues a lot smarter now

- Long standing bugs -
* a lot of startup issues fixed
* dml autocompletion fixed
* closing files didn't make warnings properly disappear / was
badly configurable
* several sort import bugs fixed
* code-d compilation bugs fixed
* some exit error message boxes on windows fixed
* GC now run regularly
* a lot of syntax highlighting improvements

- Other changes -
There are some snippets for Diet now included. These will be
replaced with a proper emmet generator soon though so they aren't
advertised too much, but it should already improve life.

Read the full changelog on
https://github.com/Pure-D/code-d/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Install in Visual Studio Code by searching webfreak.code-d or see
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=webfreak.code-d

serve-d binaries: https://github.com/Pure-D/serve-d