dud: A dub replacement

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Sun Nov 17 19:09:55 UTC 2019

On Monday, 11 November 2019 at 13:44:28 UTC, Robert Schadek wrote:
> So dub has some problems, and personally I find its code base
> very hard to get into.

I understand what you mean. What I found most disruptive to my
internal model of the code is the mutable state. It prevented me
from a solid understanding of all the parts.

> The bigger goal, at least personally, is to have a code base of
> pure functions
> that is "trivial" to understand and debug.
> The rules of thumb is: "When your line gets longer than 80
> characters,
> restructure your code!", "Branch statements are code smells."

I certainly applaud your goal and I think many parts can be
improved upon. However, not everything is accidental complexity;
sometimes problems are hard and code is non trivial. Although in
almost all cases it can be made nicer, it is just a matter of how
much time you want to spend on it.